Marital & Family Law Attorney in Central Ohio

Child Custody:

In Ohio, there are two types of child custody: sole custody and shared parenting. Sole custody means that one parent is designated as the sole residential parent and may make decisions regarding the child’s care. The term “shared parenting” means that both parents are the legal custodians of the child and both are deemed to be the “residential parents” of the child. When parents have a shared parenting arrangement, they will make joint decisions concerning their child’s care. The way the shared parenting arrangement works will depend on the terms set forth in their shared parenting plan. When you contact our office for a consultation, we can help you achieve a custody plan that will work well for you and your family. With over 25 years of legal experience, Karen H. Wentworth is well versed in Ohio child custody laws and can provide you with the guidance you need.


In Ohio, if an unmarried couple has a child, the mother is deemed to be the residential parent of the child. If the father wishes to establish his rights with the child, he may need to file a paternity action. We can assist parents through this process.

Child Support:

In Ohio, child support is often calculated using the Ohio Child Support Guidelines. To assist you, we can prepare a child support worksheet to let you know in advance how much child support you can expect to pay or receive in your case. If your financial situation has changed and you need to modify the amount of child support you are required to pay, a motion to modify child support may be appropriate. Contact our office for further information.


If you are concerned that the other parent may relocate your child to another state, we can assist you in obtaining temporary restraining orders to prevent the relocation until the matter can be properly reviewed by the Court.

Domestic Abuse:

No person should have to stay in an abusive relationship. If you are the victim of domestic abuse and need a lawyer to file a petition for a civil protection order on your behalf or on behalf of your children, we can help. We also represent with equal diligence clients who have had civil protection orders issued against them and seek to have them dismissed or modified.

Grandparents' Rights:

Our firm advocates for the rights of grandparents who wish to be involved in the lives of their grandchildren.

Prenuptial (Antenuptial) Agreements:

Before you enter into a marital relationship, it is helpful to consult with an attorney. An attorney can prepare an antenuptial agreement to help protect your assets in the event of a divorce.

To speak with Attorney Karen H. Wentworth or to schedule a consultation at our Newark Office call us at 740-281-3797 or contact us online.

Close Menu